Content is king and various blogging platforms define its territory! These days, CMS (Content Management System) has become a buzz word in the domain of web design and development. Many web developers offer CMS development services to give your business a CMS advantage. But, here a question arises: How can you choose the right blogging platform from plenty of options available? Well, this comprehensive comparison between top-notch blogging platforms will help you out.
Here we are going to compare the top eight blogging platforms with their pros and cons. But before that, let’s go through some tips to select the best blogging platform.
Characteristics of Ideal Blogging Platform
It is indeed a herculean task to select the right blogging platform from many popular ones. Here are some aspects you should keep in mind while choosing the platform:
- Easy setup with a low learning curve
- 2. Future-ready to make necessary modifications
- Plenty of features to attract more people
- Facility for making money through blogging
Top Eight Blogging Platform Comparison- What is Your Choice?
Let’s start with the undisputed leader in the domain of CMS web development- WordPress.
Since its inception in 2003, WordPress.org has remained the most popular blogging platform globally. Today, it powers over 30% of all websites. Now, WordPress.org is completely different from WordPress.com. Simply put, WordPress.org is a blogging software whereas WordPress.com is a blog hosting service.
• Gives complete control over the website
• Enables you to add extra features like online store and forums
• You can select from thousands of free themes
• Over 54000 free plugins are available
• Search engine-friendly platform
• Bit of coding skills are necessary
• You need to manage backups and security of the website
It is a hosted platform for building website. In other words, it is a platform for CMS web development. It provides drag-and-drop tools to build a website in a simple way. The Wix Blog app enables you to add a blog to the business website. It has over 110 million users worldwide to date.
• Easy customization using third-party apps and templates
• Drag-and-drop tools enable you to get rid of coding
• Easy and quick setup
• The free account shows Wix ads on your website
• Limited third-party apps are free
• You cannot change the template after selecting
• Ecommerce features are not available in a free plan
It is similar to Joomla and WordPress, but it is not a beginner-friendly platform like them. Mostly industries and magazines use this platform because of its robustness in handling the massive amount of content. The CMS development services can enable you to get a website in Drupal.
• It is free to use
• It has advanced features for techno-savvy users
• It can handle many posts and content with ease
• It offers limited themes
• It requires coding skills and technical knowledge
• At times, the platform provides frustration
It is a free blogging platform by Google. Beginners and nontechnical users can readily set up a blog by using this platform. It is one of the pioneers in blogging platforms.
• It is free and one can start a free blog by using a Google account
• Easy to use and manage
• It does not require technical skills
• It is a robust and reliable platform with Google’s support
• Basic blogging tools are available
• You cannot add new features
• Limited design options
• It is without frequent updates and new features
It is different from traditional blogging platforms. It is basically a microblogging platform with social features. It is not as significant as the blogging platforms mentioned above, but in popularity, Tumblr is one of the most popular blogging websites.
• It is free with a Tumblr subdomain
• It is very easy to set up
• It offers social media advantage
• It is ideal for updating quick blogs, videos, GIFs, and images
• It offers a limited set of features
• Tumblr themes also cannot provide additional features
• Backing is difficult
It is an open source CMS like WordPress Org. Though the process of building a blog in Joomla has similarity with WordPress.org, this platform is a bit difficult for the beginners as it is not much simple and straightforward.
• It is extremely powerful and it can build any kind of app or website
• Hundreds of templates are available for customizing design
• You can add more features with the help of extensions
• As compared to WordPress, Joomla has fewer themes and add-ons
• Community is not much wide and support options are limited
• You need to manage backups and security
It is a fully hosted CMS platform with drag-and-drop tools. It provides various options for customization through many ready-to-use themes.
• Easy-to-use website builder
• Technical skills are not necessary
• Quick setup with hosting
• Free plan is available on a trial basis
• Limited features and no provision for adding new features
• Limited integration options
• Export to another platform is a bit difficult
This is one of the favorite platforms of CMS web development service providers. It allows web developers to build elegant websites. Small business owners can also make a website with ease by using its drag-and-drop tools.
• Simple and easy-to-use platform
• Attractive and professionally designed templates
• Offers domain name with secure SSL/HTTP
• Features are limited
• Limited integrations with selected services
Other popular platforms are Medium, Ghost.org, TypePad, SVBTLE, and LinkedIn Pulse, etc.
That’s it for now. Here we have taken the most popular eight platforms. Whether you want to start a blog for your own or for your business, this comparison will certainly help to find the right one. But, it is fair to mention that this list never ends. As technology advances, we will get new features and advanced blogging platforms for customized CMS web development.
Your search for the top-class CMS development services ends here! At Semaphore, we provide enterprise-grade CMS development. Just contact us with your content-related requirements and we will assist you to manage them through robust CMS platforms like WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla. We also provide software development, mobile app development, and web development services to global companies across different industry sectors.